Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Like Father, Like Daughter

Well, I am officially 26 years old. When my birthday came 3 days ago on Sunday, I was very sick. Needless to say I was not up for celebrating. My husband made me chicken noodle soup and bought me all the meds I needed AND he waited on me. I never had to get up. He really is so good to me. I was sad about being sick on my birthday, but he helped me make the best of it. While being sick last weekend, I actually had quite a bit of down time to think and reflect on the past 26 years of my life. That reflecting has followed me into my work week, and today an idea hit me.

BUT before I share the idea, I want to explain the title for today's post.

Now, anyone who knows my father and me knows we are very much alike. My mom always says, "She certainly is her father's daughter." Usually this good. I really AM like him in many ways. Some of those ways are great, and some are things we (my father and I) are still working on. For instance, we need a little more patience then some when people do not do things in the way we think they should be done : ) On the other hand, I received many good traits from him as well. I am a planner to a fault. I take charge in situations when an assignment is given. I am decisive. I am always ready to improvise. I am passionate about what I believe. I am very driven to make a difference. These are all traits I received from my father. While I am very much like my father, my title is actually referring to my Heavenly Father. When the idea hit me, I thought to myslef, "I do that with my students."

Back to the reflecting. I was thinking about how God has a message for us everyday. He wants to talk to us everyday. He wants to share His wisdom with us, but sometimes he speaks in a whisper. If we are not trying really hard to listen, we will miss out on his messages for us. Well all of that reminded me of my students. Sometimes when I am reading or discussing something and some students are playing and not paying attention, I begin to talk softly. That way they HAVE to be quiet to listen to what it is they need to learn. Then I thought to myself, "Wow! I really am created in His image, I really am like Him! Like Father, like daughter!

I know God has something great in store for me in the coming months. It will be challenging waiting on him, but patience is something I am working on! I am just thankful for all that I DO have!

No comments:

Post a Comment